Re: tlug: US student moving to Tokyo

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, John Chase wrote:

> Hello all:
> 	This is my first post to the TLUG group. (I've been lurking for a week
> or so)  I'm a student at the university of michigan studying Computer
> Science.  I will be studying at Todai beginning in mid october.  I am
> currently in the States and will be arriving in Tokyo Oct15 or so.
> Using this year abroad as my excuse, I have finally justified to myself
> the purchase of a notebook.  I have a couple questions before I make the
> purchase.  First and foremost, am I better of buying while still in the
> US?  (my current plan)

Do you plan to use Japanese on it?  If so, I recommend buying here to get
the Japanese keyboard in it.  It may not mean much to you now, but if you
plan to use a Japanese OS or Japanese in linux, it is much better to have
a Japanese keyboard.  In fact I think the following is a general rule for
almost any thing computer related.  (Of course there are exceptions.)

If you what to do Japanese and English, get the Japanese version.

 I am currently leaning very heavily towards the
> Dell Latitude CPi266XT.  (yes, I know its neomagic)  Concerning
> notebooks, are there any problems with issues such as voltage (will 110
> volts agree with a notebook?)

I bought a dell notebook here.  I believe it was a Latitude something
something with a 100 Mhz Pentium.  Also neomagic.  I bought it before
I knew.  Anyway, I didn't have any problems going the other way.  That is
using the system made for Japan in the States.  The modem card worked fine
and the batteries seemed to charge okay.  One thing, I got a Xircom
ethernet card.  It is not supported in Linux (at least not 1 1/2 years ago
when I got it.)  Other than, that things were fine.

 and the phone system?  Also, does anyone
> hav eany experience with linux on one of these dell machines?
>
> Thanks for any help with these questions.  I look forward to arriving in
> tokyo and will try to make it to the first TLUG meeting I can.
>
> Thanks again,
> John
> Next Nomikai: 18 September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 10 October, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

Robert Bickel, Lecturer, Dept. of Mechanical Systems Engineering
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo, JAPAN 184-0012
Phone:     +81-423-88-7103            FAX:       +81-423-85-7204
Home:      +81-422-42-5615            Cellular:  +81-30-691-7580
          e-mail: robbickel@example.com
      http://kichijoji.mech.tuat.ac.jp/~rob/robw.html

In Japanese
東京農纔瘢韭絎竢踪大学、講師 機械システム学科
〒184-8588東京都小金井市中町2ー24ー16
電話:        042-388-7103            ファックス:  042-385-7204
自宅電話:    0422-42-5615            携帯電話 :    030-691-7580