Re: tlug: US student moving to Tokyo

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, John Chase wrote:

> notebooks, are there any problems with issues such as voltage (will 110
> volts agree with a notebook?) and the phone system?  Also, does anyone

The power in Tokyo is 100 volts 50Hz.  My Toshiba takes a wide range
of voltages, and I expect most portables do.  Even my desktop systems,
stereo, printer, and Sega, which are all rated for 115V, have been
working fine here at 100V (so far...).

Also, the phone system worked fine with my Toshiba's build-in
(US-only) modem every day for 6 months.  My US Robotics Sportster
has also worked.  Now I use a Japanese ISDN modem.

> hav eany experience with linux on one of these dell machines?

Sorry, none.  There's a Linux Laptop web page somewhere which may
have a pointer to using Linux on that particular machine.

--
David Beutel   Two monks were arguing about a flag.  One said, "The flag is
jdb@example.com    moving."  The other said, "The wind is moving."  The sixth