tlug: More about Configuration Files

On the advice i got here, i've succesfully configured my .bashrc file to hold
all the aliases that i like to have around. However, i'm still not getting
the computer to start up certain programs when i log in. At first i put them
in my .bash_profile, but that caused chaos to ensue. THen, on the advice of a
guy from the #Linux channel on IRC, i made a .xsession file and put the
programs in there. This had absolutely no effect whatsoever, and this is
where I am now stuck. So where DO i put the commands to start programs when i
log in?
One other semi-related question: I would like to have an nxterm which starts
up when i log in, and automatically goes into superuser mode, so it's ready
and waiting for me when i (inevitably) need to do something as root. At my
current level of understanding, this might not be feasable since i would have
to include the supersuer password in some file, and that would either be a
huge breach of security, or simply not technically possible. ANy ideas on
this?
    Dave