Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (correction)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Both solutions are unavailable in the case of mirrors or caches.  You
> want a per file solution, and a solution that does not require operator
> intervention.

General-purpose mirrors and caches MUST store and re-distribute/re-use the
charset parameter if it was present in the HTTP header when getting each
document. That place is the authoritative source, according to HTML4 spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html).

Just relying on the presence of the meta tag is wrong (the tag may not be
present in the original document).

BTW, the netscape 4.05 cache behaves correctly ;) I also believe that most
caching proxies are o.k. A friend in Austria told me his offline browser is NOT
o.k. I don't know about mirroring packages.

-Klaus