Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (correction)

    Klaus> Jim Schweizer wrote:
    >> so the tag would be
    >>
    >> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
    >> charset=ISO-2022-JP">

    Klaus> I've been asking myself for a long time: Isn't the
    Klaus> recommended way to specify the document encoding in the
    Klaus> HTTP header? For example, using Apache, I just put

    Klaus> AddType "text/html; charset=UTF-8" html

    Klaus> in the .htaccess file in the top-level directory of my
    Klaus> www-tree - works like a charm. I personally think of the
    Klaus> HTTP-EQUIV as an intermediate hack.

This depends on how you chose to organize your files and so on.  For
example, someone who mirrors (or caches) pages might end up with a
directory of files of mixed encodings.  This certainly won't work if
encoding is negotiated.  Well, it will work for UTF-8 since that
encoding is universal.  However, there are reasons not to use
Unicode (starting with the fact that all Unicode fonts are ugly from
the point of view of at least one of the Han languages).

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091