RE: tlug: Re: MS watching Linux and Borg revealations

    Chris> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> I just can't see them changing their habits overnight, and not
    >> "improving" the kernel.  Well they have to publish that
    >> code. No proprietary advantage there, the Linux hackers will
    >> have it out on Sunsite and improved by the time M$ announces.

    Chris> Only if they actually publish the code.  MSFT has
    Chris> flagrantly ignored rules in the past ... what makes you
    Chris> certain that they will abide by the GPL?

    Chris> ... sure, they can be challenged in court.  MSFT has lots
    Chris> of lawyers.  Has the GPL been tested?

Sure MS has lots of lawyers.  The FSF has enough to get the FTC
involved, and I don't think even Bill Gates wants to fight the Federal
government suing him for stealing something that is given away for
free.

    >> Can you imagine the field day the FSF lawyers would have if
    >> they had a shot at claiming that M$ was using Copyleft code in
    >> Windows NT?  ;-)

    Chris> Fairly reliable sources say that there is a bit of code in
    Chris> NT that shouldn't be there.  Further deponent sayeth not.

Yeah, I've heard those rumors too.  But NT doesn't look much like VMS
as far as I can see.  If they came up with a Linux, and couldn't prove
clean room, that would be prima facie enough to get a subpeona for NT
source, I suspect.

M$ has enough real imaginary anti-trust problems without creating
imaginary real anti-trust problems for themselves.

I agree that M$ is big enough that they could play those games if they
wanted to; I just don't see them seeing it be worth the risk.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091