RE: tlug: Re: MS watching Linux and Borg revealations

    Jonathan> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> Think about the implications.  MS programmers don't know how to
    >> write a portable program, one that doesn't force the OS to
    >> adapt.  That

Don't take my anti-M$ BS too seriously.  It's not a question of
"can't", I think.  But it is a matter of corporate strategy.  For
example, (shades of Unisys) when I was involved with the DJGPP (DJ
Delorie's port of GCC/G++/binutils to MS-DOS), The FAQ was "why can't
we do Windose?"  The answer was "Most DJGPP developers don't own a
legal copy of windows.h, so we don't even know what the API looks
like."  Microsoft even tried to convince people that buying MSC and
then using its copy of windows.h with DJGPP was illegal.

Concealing the interfaces is an important part of MS strategy.

Take the "MSIE is the OS" crap for another example.

MS wants it to be as hard as possible for you to develop
"plug-compatible" software.

Now, suppose they did this with M$Linux, hooking directly into the
kernel.  I just can't see them changing their habits overnight, and
not "improving" the kernel.  Well they have to publish that code.
No proprietary advantage there, the Linux hackers will have it out on
Sunsite and improved by the time M$ announces.

And think about the risks and expense.  They'd have to build it
NSC/clean room style.  Can you imagine the field day the FSF lawyers
would have if they had a shot at claiming that M$ was using Copyleft
code in Windows NT?  ;-)

    Jonathan> At least for right now, they are the 400 pound gorilla
    Jonathan> that can make a standard pretty much wherever it wants
    Jonathan> to.

It's only a standard if they obey it themselves.  Otherwise it's a
lie.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091