Re: tlug: kernel problem

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Eric S. Standlee wrote:

> I feel rather stupid about this.  I have tried everything that I know, but
> I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
>
> 1) I reconfig'd a new kernel with modules using "make menuconfig" and the
> 2.0.34-0.6 (what is -0.6?) which came with the RH5.1 cd's.  Then I 'make
> modules', 'make modules_install', 'make dep', 'make clean', 'make bzlilo'.
>
> But, when I boot the kernel says "can't find ....modules.dep", so I
> suppose that all of my modules don't load.  Yet, I selected PLIP as a
> module and in the boot-up output it seems to load just fine...
>
> 2) Also, I tried to "make menuconfig" a 2.0.35 kernel which I d/l'd off of
> PHT (not blaming them) from their sunsite mirror, but it said that it
> couldn't find 'curses.h'.  How is it that the 2.0.34 kernel menuconfig
> could, but 2.0.35 couldn't find this?

an unpatched 2.0.35 looks for curses.h... Redhat's looks for ncurses.h, I
assume.  I don't think that ncurses v4 has a symlink for curses.h...

I could maybe put my TL 2.0.35 .src.rpm up for download if you want to
build that.  Let me know if you want to try it.

> 3) Also, since I haven't been able to get the RH sound configuration
> program to recognize my sound card at all, I suppose that it probably
> because I am loading it as a module and my modules aren't loading...right?

yes, probably.  If modules.dep can't be found, chances are that the module
daemon (kerneld) isn't running, either.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)