tlug: microServers (was: embedded linux)

On Sat, Aug 22, 1998 at 09:33:30AM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 09:19:31PM +0900, Rex Walters wrote:
> > IMHO, Linux microservers are destined to start popping up like mushrooms
> > after a rainstorm.  Cobalt (somebody just nominated davem as Linus's
> > fill-in if he gets run over, didn't they?) is probably just the first of
> > a big wave.
>
> I think you are right.
>
> I recently received my Corel NetWinder, a *very* small format
> StrongARM-based serverette that runs Linux.

Just noticed this on Linux Weekly News (my favorite source for "meaty"
linux related info, even if slashdot is usually more timely).

Yet another microserver: the eServer from Technauts.  Seems pricy
(according to CMPnet, $1895 list -- for a 100 MHz pentium?).  Still,
there are a lot of techno-illiterates that are paying a lot more than
this for "internet solutions" from Compaq/Dell/Whoever and Microsoft.

The Corel definitely wins in the coolness category, if only because it
runs on a StrongARM.  Cobalt is probably crying in their beer about
picking MIPS (currently out of fave with just about everybody it seems).
Technauts (inevitably) adds Intel.  I predict DEC-Alpha, PPC, and AMD or
Cyrix based microservers within the next few months.