Re: tlug: PJE

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> And you have to admit that freeware development branches can be a
> bloody mess.  Some of them stay that way until release, too.  And past
> it....

Sure they can.  That's part of the fun ... although the suits don't like
it very much.

>     Chris> But we're not getting source code to those applications.
>
> I don't care, I don't use them.
>
> Neither do you.

Of-bloody-course I don't use them.  If I don't have source, I don't run it
on my machines[1].

> Has Emacs been "dumbed down for the masses"?  No, but DJGPP + Emacs
> (and soon Cygwin + XEmacs) are creeping across the face of Visual
> Fingerpainting-land.

... and how much impact is it having?  How many users are foregoing their
pretty GUI text editors for powerful LISP machines?  Please, give me good
news.

> But the core development will have to stay open.  And people who care
> will do it.  Not just the kernel, but the core system management and
> development applications, too.

As long as it remains fun to do so.  That's the heart of it, really --
we're doing this because it's fun[2].  Once that goes ...

> Tomorrow, have a nicer day ;-)

I'm going to sleep all weekend, believe it :)

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

[1] Sole exception was Quake.  The source snuck out of crack.com awhile
    back.  Not that I have it, or anything.

[2] Dave Taylor, release notes for Linux Doom (paraphrased): "Why did I do
    this port?  Because Linux gives me a woody.  We don't make money off
    of this port."  That's the spirit.