Re: tlug: PJE

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote,

>     Chris> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     >> Too bad, could be amusing and educational ;-)
>
>     Chris> *sigh* Okay, against my better judgement:
>
>     Chris> Package managers are evil.
>
> So are knives.  (viz Lorena Bobbit.)
>
>     Chris> How did Microsoft products get so bad?  They didn't used to
>     Chris> be terrible -- Word (version two, I think) was a damned
>     Chris> fine wapuro.  I think Microsoft discovered that their
>     Chris> audience didn't actually care about optimal products.  So,
>     Chris> instead of improving their code, they sunk their efforts
>     Chris> into expanding their user base by adding possibly unstable
>     Chris> features to their code.
>
> True.  Ed Yourdon thinks this is a good thing, in its place.
>
>     Chris> Now Linux distro people appear to be targetting the same
>     Chris> audience.  Linux with StarOffice on the desktop.  Linux
>     Chris> with Oracle in the server room.
>
> Also true.  Sort of.  Well, hmm.  Even some Debian people seem to get
> infected with that.  Ok, just plain true.
>
> And you have to admit that freeware development branches can be a
> bloody mess.  Some of them stay that way until release, too.  And past
> it....
>
>     Chris> We're getting all of the applications that we need to
>     Chris> effectively replace NT servers with Linux servers.
>
>     Chris> But we're not getting source code to those applications.
>
> I don't care, I don't use them.
>
> Neither do you.
>
> And you and me (at 5362 and 0xC88E respectively in the cast of
> hundreds of thousands, with Linus at #1 and RMS at #0---interpret that
> however you want :-P---of course) are Linux.  RH, PHT, Walnut Creek,
> Debian, and the FSF are not Linux, we are.  The hundreds of millions
> of lusers are not Linux.  We are.  Has Emacs been "dumbed down for the
> masses"?  No, but DJGPP + Emacs (and soon Cygwin + XEmacs) are
> creeping across the face of Visual Fingerpainting-land.

I agree with Steve, but I think, there is another important
point why I personally feel Linux for the masses is a Good
Thing.  Assume, we had a luser-fiendly interface on top of
Linux and everybody is using it.  Then, we don't have to
argue with people which OS to use at work or such.  We can
sit at any box, open an xterm, and be at home.

Cheers,

Manuel