Re: tlug: PJE

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> The really, over-archingly great thing is that a Linux system can be
> built (and someday will be) where installing a package is as simple as
> dragging it from point A to point B.

I strongly disagree.  This is EXACTLY what I was railing AGAINST.

Such a thing removes the clue factor.

> But this same system will not *require* you to do any of that stuff.
> If you'd rather not use the package manager at all, but manually FTP
> all the source you need and compile it yourself, that same Linux will
> let you do that, too. That's easy.  Linux already has that covered.
> You're doing that now.

Sure I am.  With apps that have source available.

We're moving away from Open Source, believe it or not.  Sure, the base
system will still have source available.

Do you honestly believe that Oracle will release source to their db?  How
about Applix?

Linux binary-only distribution is becoming acceptable.  Why provide source
under GPL/BSD if the users don't demand it?

> That should be trivial.  The fact that it's not is an indictment of the
> current state of the system.

It's an indictment of the user base that they (not WE, per Stephen's
definition) are targetting.

I maintain that users should UNDERSTAND how the system works.  Maybe
that's too much to ask.

> It's too late, Chris.  He might not want to hang around with you, because
> you're too reactionary for his tastes ;-)

*laugh*  I used to thing that I was a right-wing Republican-type, until I
started examining my software philosophy ...

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)