Re: tlug: PCMCIA problem during TurboLinux install

Marcus Metzler <mocm@example.com> wrote,

> Manuel M. T. Chakravarty writes:
>  > Hi!
>  >
>  > A colleague of me asked me about installing Linux on his
>  > Sharp Mebius PJ (Sharp's B5 notebook).  As it has a NeoMagic
>  > graphics chip, I told him that it should be no problem and
>  > claimed that a TurboLinux install shouldn't take much longer
>  > than an hour...but, much to my embarrassment, we ran into
>  > some serious problems.
>  >
[...]
>  >
> You have to patch the pcmcia-cs sources. The PJ uses a new Ricoh
> controller which is of course not recognized by the i82365.o module. I just
> patched the i82365.c and some other files, so that it would be
> recognized as the known ricoh controller which is supported by
> pcmcia.cs (I forgot the number). After that the normal PCIC support
> worked the cardbus support doesn`t, yet.
> I gave Scott an image of a new extrahw disk which allows you to
> install Turbolinux. Unfortunately I found out that this only works for
> the 1.9beta2 version. If you use that image and the 2.0 install disk
> it doesn`t work. There is some problem with the kernel version, but
> you can install the TL2.0 version with the beta disks. I could also
> make a new extrahw image foe the 2.0, but I was too lazy (or better to
> busy :) ) to do that yet. If you really need it, I can try to do it
> over the weekend.

If you could make an image for 2.0 that would be absolutely
great, but I don't want to cause you too much trouble.  So,
if you could send me the patches, I would try to patch
extrahw myself.  If I get the patches from you, would it
work if I patch the sources that I got with TL2.0, compile
the files, and copy them onto extrahw (the latter seems to
use an ext2 filesystem, so it should be ok to just copy the
stuff onto it -- instead of doing a whole disk image --
right?)

Thanks very much!

Manuel

P.S.: Do you have a Sharp PJ?