Re: tlug: Re: djb [was: ibm.net with LINUX (Red Hat)]

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 02:43:27PM +0000, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:

> >     Rex> code because he rarely uses standard idioms and libraries
> >     Rex> (witness his "substdio" library) but the stuff he writes is
> >     Rex> secure and rock solid reliable.
>
> Actually he gives reasons why he uses his own stuff. And weeding
> out a library to the basics wil debloat it - and code bloat very
> often ensues in reliability and security risks.

I'm didn't mean to imply criticism.  Many standard idioms are plain wrong,
and stdio is poorly designed and broken in many places.  Dan's substdio
library is outstanding.  My point was because most folks aren't used to
it, it takes a little longer to understand his code.

Finally to add to the djb lovefest: check out the rest of his stuff on
koobera, too.  Qmail may be his most famous, but the rest of his stuff
is equally outstanding.

Regards,
--
Rex