Re: tlug: dual-pentium processors

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Kei Furuuchi wrote:

> Which is better?  two cpus with a certain RAM and the same amount of
> swap area or, one same cpu with twice the amount of RAM with both using
> up memories.

Depends on the application.  In most instances, that extra CPU is not
going to buy you any more horsepower.  For parallel stuff it's okay, but
not too many people are doing that.

Bind processess to different CPUs?  In theory that's a win, however
the management overhead seems to offset the benefits in most cases[1].

> So I am wondering two cpus are asigned with the resources via a
> separate bus?

Not in the Intel world.

-- Chris

[1] My statement is based on observation.

Next Meeting: October, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30