Re: tlug: Are kernels interchangable?

Hello everybody,

RCT wrote:
>     Well, I'm not quite sure that from distribution to another it will
> work, but from diferents machines (and CPU's) it almost ever runs
> whithout problems (only for IRQ or I/O, that may conflict). I've used for
> a little time the same kernel (and compilation) when I moved my HD from a
> 486 to a P-233.
 I have a 486-machine with small hard-disk. To check if the latest kernel work
on this machine I do cross-compile. I compile kernel on 166MHz Pentium machine.
I transefer vmlinuz from Pentium to 486. I usually don't use modules. Last Friday
I did this with 2.1.108. Needless to say the same kernel works fine on both
Pentium and 486.

 Talking about distributions, you need to name the distributions. For example
Redhat 4.2 & Turbolinux 1.0 are similar. I suppose there won't be problem.
But Debian 1.3.1 & Redhat 4.1 are not similar. Libraries are different. So
there might be problem.

Cheers,

Masa   Uc^ida Masatomo,Hidaka,Saitama,Japanio
<http://www1.nisiq.net/~masatomo>
<http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/linux>
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: