RE: tlug: Data type 9 not supported?

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> I'd like 5.1, but I may just stick 4.2 on it for the time being.  Some
> of the TL Japanese packages need glibc, though.  No matter which I do
> it, I know the easy part is over, though :-)

What you _could_ do is this:

* Install 4.2
* Compile the 5.1 RPM.  Perversely, the 5.1 RPM is itself a type 9 RPM.
* Install the 5.1 kernel
* Install the glibc runtime package
* Install everything else

That's sort of what I did.

> By any chance, would you happen to have any idea of what might be causing
> Netscape to die and dump core on startup?  The message is IOT trap/Abort and
> then it pukes its core and that's all she wrote.

That is bad.  Did this Netscape installation work previously?

I suspect that it is due to a library incompatibility.  You might want to
start netscape with strace and see where it's dying.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: