Re: tlug: Possible Project

-----Original Message-----
From: A.Tomita <atomita@example.com>

>The August meeting will be a demonstration of the versatility of Linux,
>showing that it can run in a multitude of platforms. We could invite
>people to bring their machines, whatever it is a PC, Mac, 98, and put
>Linux in it.

I think this is logistically unfeasible, because even if we ignore the
logistics of people trying to get desktop computers to HSBC, we would
also need to have basically one installer for every machine brought in,
and they would all have to arrive at one of two times, either the
morning install starting around 11:00, or the afternoon install,
starting  a couple hours later.  It would be nice to just have people
bring in their systems for an install (in theory), but in the 8 months
I've been a part of TLUG, I can't recall this being actually done,
despite the fact that we have an open invitation for that.  It's
important to install Linux whereever we workably can, but I think it's
even more important to not bite off more than we can chew and make not
only TLUG but Linux itself not look good.  On-site installs at meetings
would have to be limited to a small number of people, and the logistics
of bringing anything but a notebook will probably enforce this for us.

>Or how about taking those machines to Akihabara on July 25 for a demo?
>(although such event would require logistics very well structured).

All of the above, only much harder.  We'd need tables, awnings, power
generators, printed handouts, and quite possibly a permit from the
police department.  This would suck up a lot of funds that we might
better use on things like a CD writer to make TLUG archive CD-ROMs, and
other stuff to improve our general computing and server environment,
including some library material that can be used over and over by all
members.

I don't mean to sound defeatist, but I think it's important to choose
our battles carefully and never do anything that we can't be reasonably
sure of being pretty successful at.  A mega install-fest or a Linux
seminar in the middle of the street in Akihabara (this would have to be
on a Sunday, not Saturday) sound like things with too large of a chance
to flop.  If we're going to get the world's most widely-used operating
system in our sights, and do it as a group of volunteers and small
companies whose combined annual sales are probably less than what
Microsoft sells in a day or two, I think that above all we need to not
screw up.  An install-fest meeting may be doable, but I think we should
schedule it for October.  Let people who are Linux-curious come to the
August meeting and see all the different stuff that Linux runs on.  Let
them also come to the after-meeting nomikai and see all the different
Linux users that beer and good food run on :-)

Then, those who are interested can A) spend the next two months learning
more about Linux before the next meeting; B) Come to the September
nomikai for a booster shot of enthusiasm (or any other shots they care
to drink); C) Bring their computers to the September meeting if they are
so inclined.  We need to keep in mind that Linux is not an OS that is
easily jumped into with no preparation.  Granted, that's how I did it :)
But I also nearly gave up several times, and it's been a long, often
hard road to the point where I now know a little bit (just a little bit)
about Linux and UNIX.  We need to ease people into this.  The sudden
plunge approach may not work for most.

Let's spread Linux, but let's be careful out there :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: