Re: tlug: Possible Project

cliff@example.com writes:
 > Kei, you make a good point that such an undertaking could backfire
 > if done without taste.  I was thinking of more an "educational
 > event" where we let the public/media know that there is a viable
 > alternative OS.
 >
 > I don't really want to be a loner in such an event, but if there is
 > enough interest by others, I would be interested in helping out.

Sorry I shouldn't have used "Japanese" card to make a point.

Maybe We should make a promotion video that a jet engine
engineer or an archtect appear to say Linux is a viable
alternative OS.

Or publish a free press of TLUG journal monthly or
bimonthly.

Or call up CS digital contents providers which deal with
educational contents like "Keiko to Manabu" channel and
offer a plan to do "How to Linux" program.

Or get TLUG meeting linked by a satellite to make a program
like "CNN Q&A". Internet interactive with a satellite link.

I think there are a lot of ways to get public/media
attention. But, I think there should be some persistance
once we get media/public attention. One time event where you
can get workshop and cdrom free, then nextweek there is
nothing to offer while Win98 is selling is somehow
disappointment to would-be beginners. And passing out CD-ROM
randomly sounds like ending up in trash cans at the stations
with rest of other ads passed out there.

I am not saying that the event is not worth a try. I am
hoping there is more than self-satisfying results and easy
way.

Compared to US events, Microsoft is going to face antitrust
suit and Intel will follow. So there is anti-Wintel
sentiment among people in US. It is understandable that
there is some support for the demonstration.  But what about
Japan? Japan itself represents anti-antitrust ( if you
allow me my usual crap).

Whatever event it will be, I hope there is well thought out
plan and objectives to back it up.

Regards,
Kei.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: