Re: tlug: It works!

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    Jonathan> The Japanized version of Netscape is really quite nice,
>    Jonathan> and makes inquiring minds wonder why Netscape couldn't
>    Jonathan> just do this themselves and ship it that way :-)
>
>Probably has something to do with the number of licenses they could
>sell, and the amount of competition they faced.  Until two three years
>ago, my Institute would buy _one_ copy of software, then put the

Your institute and just about every other entity in Japan :-)

But Netscape had been free for personal use for a long time, so it's
hard to imagine licensing being the problem (or competition, until IE
3.0 came out, and moreso after IE 4.0), and it has always had Japanese
input support on other platforms.  That's the center of my beef with
Netscape on this: the Linux version of Netscape lacks features that are
available on other platforms, including basic stuff like the invaluable
File Bookmark function (is this in 4.05 for Linux?  I'm still on 4.04).
And it's not very nice, either.  When it's loading a page, it
essentially freezes the whole system until it's done; even the mouse
will move only sporadically.  I've never seen it do that on any
platform; this is one "feature" I could do without very nicely :-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: