Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?)

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

>I would also argue that the UI diversity is one of the neat things about
>linux.  I can make Linux look like whatever *I* want it to, not what some

Well, I don't think that anyone is really arguing that such flexibility
ins't a good thing from the viewpoint of Linux hackers and hobbyist
users.  Rather, the argument goes that the lack of a standardized GUI is
a barrier to commercial success, especially if you want to sell it to a
big company with thousands of computers.  The IT manager, the tech
support manager, the IT staff who take care of all those users, want
thousands of computers that all look and work the same way and keep
everything in the same place.

The success of the Macintosh and of Windows in the marketplace really
has very little to do with the quality of the code or the stability of
the OS, two areas where Linux (and indeed UNIX in general) wins hands
down.  They succeeded because of the GUIs they have (and Microsoft
marketing muscle, in the case of Windows).  Most users neither know nor
care about these technical issues.  They just want a computer that's
easy to use and does what they want.  Apple, and later Microsoft, gave
them that.   The editorial on ZDNet that said that if IBM (for example)
were to deliver an Enterprise-oriented Linux the support and backing of
a powerhouse like IBM, they'd probably do very well and severely crimp
Microsoft's style.  I think they really would, too.  Compaq is another
company with the clout to do that, but IBM would be better.

In any case, it's a really great thing that Linux is getting this kind
of notice in so many quarters.

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>