Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?)

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

>Interesting statement. When did you last try the GIMP, and what are
>you comparing it to? I have access to Photoshop 4.0 on a PowerMac at

About a week ago.  It's better than it was, but still not good.  I don't
think it has anything on Photoshop, and Paintshop Pro pretty much wipes
the floor with it.   Besides supporting Windows users and needing a live
model handy, needing a decent graphics tool is one of the other things
that keeps me using Windows a lot.  And who's the genius who thought up
the idea that GIMP should have it's tool bar in a completely different
window than the image being manipulated?  Somehow, I find the name GIMP
to be rather appropriate.  But it is making progress.  I used to
completely hate GIMP and thought it was worthless (it was).  Now it's
improved to the point where I just don't like it and think it has a lot
of catching up to do.  But it probably won't catch up, 'cuz I think FSF
designs software from the standpoint of trying to make it perversely
different than any commercial software :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>