Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?)

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web writes:

 > GIMP?  That would be my absolute last choice of graphics tools.  Even if
 > we ignore the fact that it can't do Japanese, since most designers don't
 > care about that anyway, I wouldn't use it because on Windows (or Mac)
 > I can put together graphics using tools that are either better, faster,
 > or both. Not to mention with big user-bases and lots of books and other
 > instructional materials available.   The only advantage that leaves GIMP
 > is the fact that it's cheaper.  Not much of an advantage.

Interesting statement. When did you last try the GIMP, and what are
you comparing it to? I have access to Photoshop 4.0 on a PowerMac at
work, and I don't see how it's clearly superior. They both do many of
the same things, and some operations are easier with GIMP (rotating
part of an image comes to mind).

What are these better and faster tools you speak of?

Matt
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: