Re: tlug: serial connection with laptop

> My assumption, as Eric's, I guess, is that you should be able to
> hook up two computers with a null-modem cable, make a SLIP or PPP
PPP is easier.
> connection between them (SLIP seems simpler), and thereby have
> a real honest-to-goodness, albeit slow, TCP/IP LAN.
Use PLIP instead. Is a lot faster.
> My reason for wanting to do this was to install Debian onto a laptop
> with no high-capacity media (e.g. SCSI) ports -- basically nothing but
> a floppy drive and a serial port.  I've already installed the Debian
> base system (1.3) via floppies, of course.
The only problem here is that it takes you forever....
> If there's anyone who has done this successfully, I'd love to hear from
> you about it.
Yes. Me. I have done it I don't know how often. However, I
mostly use PLIP. Is simply faster.

                                  Karl-Max Wagner
                                  karlmax@example.com
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html