Re: tlug: serial connection with laptop

Eric S. Standlee wrote:
> I have tried to figure this one out on my own too, but how do you (or can
> you) connect a laptop via serial port.  I know that just because it is a
> laptop doesn't make much of a difference.
>
> I suppose that in theory I could connect via nullmodem (what is that?) and
> use slip/mgetty????

   Thank you for asking.  I once was trying to do this myself, and
failed, despite reading all the documentation I could find about it
on the net and in books, but I'd really like to get this to work.

My assumption, as Eric's, I guess, is that you should be able to
hook up two computers with a null-modem cable, make a SLIP or PPP
connection between them (SLIP seems simpler), and thereby have
a real honest-to-goodness, albeit slow, TCP/IP LAN.

My reason for wanting to do this was to install Debian onto a laptop
with no high-capacity media (e.g. SCSI) ports -- basically nothing but
a floppy drive and a serial port.  I've already installed the Debian
base system (1.3) via floppies, of course.

If there's anyone who has done this successfully, I'd love to hear from
you about it.

Thanks,
Dave

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station