Re: tlug: 128 bit encryption

Craig,

Unfortunately, it impossible to download 128bit encryption version of
Netscape from outside North America. Download from outside US is
prohibited by law.

Japanese goverment do the same thing. They baned download domestic
developed software for E-Commerce such as electronic wallet, commercial
on-line service GUI software 'NIFTY Manager for NIFTY SERVE' from
internet. So even domestic Japanese can not download over the internet.
The only way is CD-ROM distribution.

> I was trying to simplify transactions with a U.S. firm in the
> the U.S. and am required to have a browser with 128bit .
> They're saying Netscape, but I guess it could be any browser
> that support 128bit encryption.  I think that a 128bit version of Linux
> exists.  However, I can't download it because the reverse DNS seems
> to be actually verifying the country that the IP corresponds to.
> You have to be in the U.S. and be a U.S. citizen to download the
> 128 bit version right now.  Or, at least this is what the download
> directions say.  Is this law still in effect?  I thought the government
> had seen the light on this issue?

I've heard that story, too. Anyone know where?

> I remember Tague saying that there was a team in Australia that
> had a 128 bit version of Netscape that could be used outside the
> U.S.  However, I don't know if there is a Linux version.  The
> transaction involves the transfer of actual money, so stability
> of the browser is pretty important.
>
> Regards,
> Craig

- Shigeo Honda
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station