tlug: remote xterm

Hello,

I have been trying (and trying, and trying ...) to run remote (windowed)
programs from my RedHat 5 - running PC.

More specifically, I would like to run a program installed on the
local Cray, such as Matlab, without having to walk over and find
the Cray's console.

Initially I tried an rlogin to the cray, but of course Matlab could
not open the display (namely :0.0 on my PC).

Subsequently, I unsuccessfully attempted several variations of:

rsh cray "exec xterm -display MyPC:0.0 </dev/null >&/dev/null &"

(where MyPC is the name of the local host (my PC), and cray is
the address of the cray.)

I received various error messages such as:

1. "ksh: /dev/null: bad file unit number"

   (when I typed:
     rsh cray "exec xterm -display MyPC:0.0 </dev/null >&/dev/null &"
   )

2. "Xlib: connection to "melnjf.mel.go.jp:0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
    Error: Can't open display: melnjf.mel.go.jp:0.0"

   (when I typed:
     rsh cray "exec /usr/openwin/bin/xterm -display MyPC:0.0 </dev/null &"
   )

If anybody has a solution to my problem, please pass it on.
Thanx in adv.

    Neil J Fergusson
   | mv124@example.com |

Holyfield?...Tastes like chicken!!!  -Mike Tyson

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station