Re: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

Hi Eric,

Try to check the port with cu command.

1) su to root
2) $cu -l /dev/ttyS0
   (you may need to chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0 before then).
3) type AT(Enter) ... you should get "OK" in return.
   type ATZ (Enter) or other reset command (see manual).
4) type ATDT117 ... your modem should dial.
5) now you can check modem is working.

Eric Standlee and Family <e-w.standlee@example.com> wrote on Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:09:43
+0900:-
> Thanks Mr. Schweizer and everyone for your continued, warm help.
>
> I admit that this serial port business is new to me as I used to only deal
> with Unix off ethernet.
>
> I have found out that I am really having a problem with Linux talking to my
> modem.  This quote is from my dmesg:
> tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> With this information, can someone tell me which device I should be using?
> Ie. /dev/modem linked to /dev/ttyS0 .  And, what should the permissions be
> on that device?  I think that I have tried these but I still don't get
> minicom, or anything for that matter to talk to the modem.  PPPD kicks out
> with a tty error when I run pon.  Can it be, I hope not, that my modem
> cannot be used with Linux?  It recognizes it on boot at two different irqs.
>  It is a DSDV fax/modem.  I know it is silly, but my manuals don't tell me
> who the maker is.  It is the modem on the 166Mhz Sony VAIO in case anyone
> has this same computer or has a friend who does...

If it is a Winmodem, I think there is no driver to use it on Linux.
Just get another modem and connect it to your serial port.

Regards,
Ken

Ken Harada = 原田  健
Hayama, Japan
http://www.hayama.net/~kenhrd/
Member of:
	Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama (IMASY)
	Tokyo Linux Users Group (TLUG)
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station