Re: tlug: PPP for Dummies :-)

> I have found out that I am really having a problem with Linux talking to my
> modem.  This quote is from my dmesg:
> tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Good. Quite normal.
> With this information, can someone tell me which device I should be using?
> Ie. /dev/modem linked to /dev/ttyS0 .  And, what should the permissions be
> on that device?  I think that I have tried these but I still don't get
> minicom, or anything for that matter to talk to the modem.  PPPD kicks out
Aha. Press CTRL-A O under Minicom. A menu comes up. Select
"Serial port setup ". You get another menu. Like this:

A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyS1

Now press A and enter /dev/ttyS0. Leave the menu with ESC. Now
select
            Save setup as dfl

Then select Exit. Now leave Minicom and restart it. Does the
modem respond now ? If yes, OK. If no, repeat the procedure, but
select /dev/ttyS1. If that doesn't work either, you may have
your modem either at a non-standard port or you have one of
those "Win-Modems". In the latter case throw it away and get a
real modem......

However, from what I understand you have a VAIO PCG-505X. At
Sony's site I didn't find out anything that stinks like
Winmodem. They also sell a "port replicator" containing a
serial, a paralell and a VGA port. I'd guess that their modem is
connected to /dev/ttyS1.......

Assume for the touchpad that it is PS/2 compatible ( this is
practically always the case )
> with a tty error when I run pon.  Can it be, I hope not, that my modem
> cannot be used with Linux?  It recognizes it on boot at two different irqs.
Nope. That other port is the port the port replicator makes
available.

Report the results of the above test. Then we'll see.

                          Karl-Max Wagner
                          karlmax@example.com
After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station