Re: tlug: Re: Question (/root partition)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Joe Marchak wrote:

> > This may sound like a stupid question, but one of my co-workers asked me
> > today as I was setting up a system with RedHat, why RedHat (and others)
> > have a "root" directory, while systems like Solaris do not?  I couldn't
> > answer his question.  To be honest the more I use the SUN at work I'm
> > not quite sure I see the use for it either.  Can someone explain this
> > one to me?
>
> You are probably using SunOS (aka Solaris 1), which puts the "vmunix"
> kernel in /. Most newer OS's put the kernel someplace safe, in a
> separate subdirectory.  One good reason to do this is to prevent someone
> wiping out the kernel accidentally.
>
> For instance:
>    HPUX puts the "vmunix" kernel in          /stand
>    Solaris 2.6 puts the "genunix" kernel in  /kernel

...however it wasn't until Redhat 4.0 or so that vmlinuz got moved from /
to /boot, and I'm not sure where Slackware and Debian are putting it these
days - last I saw, Slackware was still putting it in /, but that was a
while back.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691