Re: tlug: Question

Hello,

Ken Harada writes:
 > I read an explanation before, that root user's home was
 > in /home/root in earlier system, but in this case if the
 > /home cannot be mounted due to serious trouble, root user
 > cannot get his/her home.  So, the home for root is separately
 > arranged in /root.  I don't know how the Solaris' philolophy is.

In tradition, the home directory of root is /.  And (as far as I'm
concerned), the tips on traditional UNIX is (was)

	Never use root account except (special) system administration.

In other words, "use your own account as possible."  Hence, it's rare
to see cluttered / directory which has "Mail", "News" or "core".  So,
there has been no problem.

(Here is my guess) However, many novice users switched from DOS don't
make their own account, but use default "root" account (forever).
This sometimes makes cluttered / directory and it can be cause of
system trouble.  For example, $HOME/bin is usually private directory,
but in case of HOME=/ it can be public directory.

Chigaukana?
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691