Re: Broken HELO [was: tlug: Naive VM question]

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 08:08:32AM -0700, Kei Furuuchi wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
>  > (3) I don't know what TWICS does if the PTR lookup of TCP connection
>  >     IP address doesn't match the HELO address; I know that many ISPs
>  >     forward those with "may be forged" tags on them.  This is clearly
>  >     inconsistent with refusing purely on the basis of a broken HELO,
         [...]

> I found another mail server which rejects mails due to the reason
> above.
> So I thought setting:
> 	define(`SMART_HOST', smtp:"local ISP mail server")
> in sendmail.mc is an answer because even if HELO is still broken, the
> local ISP mail server accepts the mails and relays, if they are
> delivered from within ISP subnet. I don't know how the mail server
> verifies.  As long as /var/log/mail.log is concerned, the mails are

If it was in fact rejecting because of HELO verification, your solution
will have solved the problem because now the smart host (which presumably
has a consistent HELO string and IP address) will be the one doing the
transaction with the remote mailer.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo     ICQ: 5981586   AIM: Jim7J1AJH

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691