RE: tlug: Hello, I'm a newbie and help!

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : Manuel Chakravarty <chak@example.com>

>use this chip).  On the other hand, one might feel that
>RedHat, as it is the bigger company, might be faster with
>keeping pace with new developments.

Actually, it seems as if just the opposite is true, both in general (that
big companies move slower than smaller ones in many cases) and in this
particular case.  Admittedly, I don't follow RH extremely closely, since I
don't have their distribution installed anymore, but PHT generally seems to
be extremely quick on the draw with getting updates out.

Also, the TurboLinux tools are very nice, and better than Red Hat's.
Granted, this doesn't matter as much if you like to configure everything by
editing config files, but the tools are nice.  Somebody correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't think Red Hat has things like the Turbo Package Updater,
that will automatically snag and install any updated packages from PHT's FTP
site, for example.

>* Is there Japanese support from RedHat.

As in "Japanese tech support" or as in "Japanese packages."  If the former,
AFAIK, no.  If the latter, well, I guess the Japanese RPMs should work, but
I haven't tried them in RH.  If there's a new Japanese update or something,
I think you can count on PHT to have an RPM available first.  A case in
point is Jpine; not long after it came up in discussion on the TLUG list,
Scott had gotten the J patch, built an RPM, and put it on the FTP site.  Now
TurboLinux ships with it.

>* I guess the Japanese version of TurboLinux comes with all
>  the English and the Japanese stuff, right? (E.g.,
>  documentation etc.)

Yes, it comes with lots of Japanese docs, Japanese icons, and they are
working on completely localizing all of the install tools and things.  Of
course, all of the English documentation is also there.

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't switch back to Red Hat.  Not that it's
bad, but I find TL easier to use as a beginning Linux/UNIX user, and all the
Japanese stuff is right there at my fingertips without having to track down,
compile, or install anything.  Combine that with the nice PHT tools, and
it's a matter of RH 5 being pretty good, but TL just being better.

Of course I have opinions ;-)

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691