Re: tlug: Hello, I'm a newbie and help!

    Scott> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Manuel Chakravarty wrote:
    >> "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> wrote,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the tip, but to be honest, I am one of those wired
    >> guys who are proud if they didn't touch the mouse for a whole
    >> day.  In the end, a *big* Emacs window plus two or three bash
    >> shells (possibly running as sub-processes in Emacs) and a
    >> keyboard is the fastest way to get things done.  Many windows
    >> and a mouse only slow you down, especially when programming.
    >>
    >> (I am well aware of the fact that for many users, who don't
    >> hang around at their computer all day, this is not a feasible
    >> approach.)

    Scott> It seems to have the same shortcomings as xxgdb, too, which
    Scott> is to say that ncurses apps such as my console-based TL
    Scott> config tools, won't display in it.  Telling gdb to display
    Scott> it on another tty doesn't work properly either... so I'm
    Scott> stuck with regular gdb and frequent calls to 'shell reset'
    Scott> to reset my character font when I shove a breakpoint in
    Scott> where there's a window open w/ ncurses...

You should be able to just go to the View menu and select Execution
window before you run your app. Ddd opens a window for all IO of your
app. I don't know if this will work in your case or not. You might
also want to try the remote debugging facility. This starts an xterm
on the remote machine with your app. There is nothing that says the
"remote" machine could not be the same machine you're running DDD
on. I have not done this is a long time, but it sounds like it should
get around the problem of GDB not using another tty.

Andy
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691