tlug: Broken postscript in Windows, fixable?

    Scott> My wife wanted me to print out her resume for her.  prints
    Scott> out, but looks awful - fonts are so low-res that they're
    Scott> barely readable... is there any way to fix the fonts in a
    Scott> postscript file?  Looking at the output from some .ps files
    Scott> generated by Linux netscape and emacs, I see embedded fonts
    Scott> in there, but not in the one generated by Windows... what
    Scott> can I do besides have her retype it on Applix here at work?

Teach her LaTeX.  :-P

What do you mean by "embedded fonts"?  Do you mean fonts invoked by
name (as in `Helvetica 24 xchg findfont scalefont setfont') or actual
encoded font data?  If it's the former, it's easy enough to do, but
whether it will be pretty or not....  If it's the latter, it may be
possible but I've never tried anything like that.  But I can't imagine
why the latter could be low-res and ugly if the fonts are actually
prepended to the file header.

Are you using a real Postscript printer or Ghostscript?  If it's the
former, you can change the fonts in the .ps file to ones it knows
about, but this is likely to be very ugly unless it has a _lot_ of
fonts.  AFAIK Word embeds lots of kerning (inter-character spacing)
commands in the file, and those will be wrong unless the metrics of
each character is the same.

Ghostscript has lots of fonts, so you will probably be able to find
one that works well enough.  You can also look at ghostscript's stderr
output to find out about font substitutions; most printers will not
tell you about that.

HTH

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: