Re: tlug: Ethernet timeout problem

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 12:28:17PM +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Rex Walters writes:
>  > Bypassed the "determine the problem is really in the driver" and
>  > "*admit* the problem is really in the driver" stages altogether.
>
> Could you please explain the reason why you think so?  Do you have any
> rationale why my judgement may be wrong?  Certainly, it may be wrong.
> But please understand I answered by my experiences.  If you would
> explain how do you thought by my answer, I could learn more.
>
> I *did* determine the problem, and *did* admit the problem is really
> in the driver.  From the kernel message, I was pretty sure that the
> problem is really in the driver.  The problem was reported several
> times (from all over the world), and I fixed occasinally.  Please

YES!  Exactly!

I'm sorry, you've misunderstood me.  I was trying to compliment you for
providing such excellent support.  Really!

Sarcasm is so difficult in email.  I meant to poke fun at commercial
vendor support organizations who often point the blame at everything
else before they realize the problem really is with their own drivers.
And then, even when they realize it, they hide the fact from the customer
and take a long time to admit the problem.

I tried to say that you determined and admitted the exact problem
immediately, whereas (by implication) outside the Linux/Open-Source
world this almost never happens.

Please don't take my message as criticism in any way!  Your quick,
decisive, obviously knowledgeable response blew me away.  One *never*
gets that kind of response with proprietary non-opensource software.

Best regards,
--
Rex
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691