Re: FSF Emacs 20.x [was Re: tlug: Intimidation? [was: Office suite for use under Linux]

    Kei> Because this is a misinput.This is a reason I don't like to
    Kei> use Japanese at all.  Phonetic way of inputting Japanese is
    Kei> intractable at conversion session.  Someone should come up
    Kei> with the graphical way.

kinput2 combines both in the following way.  First you type the
desired yomi.  Then if the first two candidates are wrong, a window
containing all candidates (all? well, I've seen over 50).  Then you
can point with the mouse and select by clicking.

I do not know if it is possible to configure that so that the
selection window is always visible.

This is available in XEmacs 20.3, but only in a kterm or X window, not
on kon.  It may be available in Emacs 20.2, but support was extremely
primitive compared to XEmacs as of 19.34.91.

    >> I'm using FSF Emacs 20.2.  I tried XEmacs 20.3 first, found
    >> that kon support for non-ASCII code was genuinely broken there,
    >> and switched to FSF Emacs for precisely this reason.

    Kei> I also need to know how to use mailing in XEmacs.  Using
    Kei> netscape has word wrap problem.

In XEmacs 20.3 it is possible to use Japanese under kon, but I forget
how.  It was very difficult, and required looking up in the source
code to figure out.  21.0 (soon to go into code freeze) definitely has
this fixed.  I don't think 20.4 fixed this, I don't know if 20.5 will
either.  Use kterm.  If you must use kon, and can't find any other
way, I believe that if you telnet to localhost and set the coding
systems and LANG variable properly, you can do it.  You can also try
setting TERM=kterm locally (ie, under bash `TERM=kterm xemacs ...'.)

Yes, I have an evil mind, hating all rules.

There are two main alternatives for Japanese + MIME support in XEmacs.
RMail is pretty dead under XEmacs; no XEmacs developer uses it.  VM is
what I use.  This is mostly a religious decision: Kyle Jones is a
standards bigot, so if I don't like what VM is doing, I find an
appropriate RFC that says it's wrong and Kyle fixes it.  VM has its
own MIME support, and is quite strict.  (This is why I'm always
bitching about MIME compliance; my mailer won't read Japanese without
full MIME headers ;-) If you go the VM route, you must disable TM
and/or SEMI.

The alternative is Gnus + TM or SEMI.  Gnus handles Japanese by
itself, I believe (or lets Mule do it), but you really need TM or SEMI
for MIME and to send proper mail and news.  Both are intrusive
packages that infest your whole Emacs, so I prefer to live with VM.

HTH

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: