Re: tlug: LCD Deja-vu

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 12:47:32PM +0900, joem wrote:

> > Vincent Janelle writes "I just found out about a Serial LCD
> > stats software pack for Linux. This little product is
> > essentially a serial LCD panel that someone has
>
> I remember one of the early TLUG meetings where Jim Tittsler demonstrated
> his hand-build version of an LCD CPU meter, along with his HAM satelite

Yes, it is still working (but I would need a webcam to see it from here :-).
You can find very inexpensive surples LCD modules in Akihabara.  Mine came
from Rohm and can be controlled with either a byte-wide or nibble-wide
parallel data path... like a spare printer port.

I've since gotten a vacuum flourescent display (the very bright, typically
blue displays similar to the ones seen on VCRs or microwave ovens)... so it
is easy to spot the server status from across the room.  :-) My Samsung unit
can be controlled by either a parallel or a (TTL-level) 9600 baud serial
channel.

--
Jim Tittsler, Singapore
Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691