Re: tlug: recommendable email software]

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > First, if I understood a recent post (in Japanese) to the mule mailing
 > list correctly, Mule people are aiming at improving the internal Mule
 > mbchar representation by using UTF-8.  This will have an important
 > benefit to developers that Unicode can be handled directly without
 > "kicking out" some existing charsets, and vastly extend the number of
 > separate character sets that can be handled.  But it's clear that they
 > intend to use UCS private space and map existing character sets into
 > it, not use the BMP.

No, no.

You might think that we are defining another kind of character set
(like UCS) which also supports some characters from foreign character
set(s) in private area...  No, we don't take such an approach.  What
we're doing is, say, 'Escape from Coded Character Set'.

We'll use UTF-8 like representation of multi-byte string/buffer,
however, it doesn't represent UCS or any existing character set(s)
directly.  It will just encode array of integer.  The interpretation
of integer is up to upper layer.  In the uppor layer, the integer
refers a character.  The mapping of integer to character can be
defined by _users_ as they like it.  In other words, we offer the
mechanism on which users can implement the policy.  If users want UCS
system, they can (perhaps).

Thanks,
--
NIIBE Yutaka