Re: tlug: Setting up Samba

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> Having dug through piles of Samba documentation and examined samba.conf for
> clues, I still find myself pretty far from enlightenment and just wanting to
> do a few simple things that will bring my computer at work much closer to my
> goal of being able to run it under Linux all the time and only occasionally
> boot it into Windows.
>
> Those simple things are:
>
> 1) Make the computer visible as a node on our office LAN;

Just make sure it's using the same workgroup name as the other machines,
and that it's exporting something as 'browseable'.

> 2) Make two of it's directories visible: public-upload (unrestricted
> read-write) and public-download (unrestricted read, write only by me or
> root) that are on my Windows 95 partition that is being mounted under Linux;

this section from my smb.conf creates a public read/write share:

[backup]
        comment = Backup stuff
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        preserve case = yes
        writable = yes
        public = yes
        path = /mnt/f/laptop

If you wanted to make one that was writable only by 'jonathan' and 'root',
change the 'writable' line to:

	write list = jonathan, root

> 3) Be able to use the printer which is attached to the NT server machine on
> our LAN.

Run printtool and say you want to set up an SMB printer.  Be warned,
though, that SMB sometimes has problems with NT (I'm not 100% sure why) -
let me know how it goes.

PS - the printer stuff in smb.conf is if you want to *export* YOUR
printers via smb to the network.  It works, too... I do it here, actually.

BTW - there's probably a man page you overlooked - did you do a 'man
smb.conf' ?  It describes the specifics of the configuration file.

> I've got the feeling that if I can do 1, then 2 and 3 will be easy, but I'm
> not sure what I need to do to make it show up on our LAN.  The SMB daemon is
> started at boot and is running, so I know that part is at least working, but
> Samba is proving a bit challenging to figure out.  Can somebody who is
> familiar with it point me to a doc file that will tell me clearly what I
> need to do to accomplish these things, and/or tell me what I need to put in
> samba.conf to make it do them?
>
> Of course, if a graphical front-end similar in function to the network
> control panel in Windows is available for Samba, I'd be most interested in
> knowing where to download it :-)
>
> TIA,
>
> Jonathan

> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: