Re: tlug: Jpine compile died, I think?

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> Thanks to David Riley for the hint to use ./build lnx for compiling Jpine.
> That got it off to a good start and it compiled a long for a few minutes,
> then I saw this:
>
> make: *** no rule to make target "pine_ja.hlp' needed by 'helptext.h'. Stop.
> Links to executables are in bin directory
> Size: bin/pine: No such file or directory
> Size: bin/pico: No such file or directory
> Size: bin/pilot: No such file or directory
> Done
>
> That looks sort of fatal to me, but I'm brand new to this, so . . .
>
> Scott says he got it done, so I can get an RPM from him, but now that I've
> gotten this far, I want to see if I can make the compile work anyway :-)

Well, I built mine from the TL pine-3.96 SRPM (patched the .spec file to
apply the J patch), which was in turn taken from the RH 5.0 pine-3.96
SRPM.  Redhat did some path manipulation in their patches (and I had to
remove -lcrypt to make it build on libc5) - looks like you had build
failures.  if an executable fails, pine's makefile doesn't quit, it just
keeps going (kind of stupid).  Anyway, you can always  get my .src.rpm and
rebuild it from that if you *really* want to compile it yourself :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: