Re: tlug: UPS for Linux?

FROM THE OFFICE OF YMH CAL LABORATORY:TOKYO
DIRECTOR:YONG-MING P. HUA
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:16:12 +0900

Dear Scott,

     I am so glad to hear that there is a way to prevent unfriendly
power cut for Linux. I will get a APC-made UPS. You've just saved
not only the servers'possible crash, but also my biiiiiiig worries.
There are people in uni who even charge you personally for the crash
ya know. I am relieved. Thanks Scott.

>>      I am one of the most laziest persons in this ML. Pretty sure
>> the laziest. I haven't used UPS for my Linx_servers at uni. And
>> we had a disaster. Power Cut. Fortunately I put backup files to
>> the servers so there was nothing serious. But I am thinking
>> about installing UPS for them for a rainy day.
>>      I know there are some major UPS boxes made for NT or 95,
>> or Sun, etc. My question is, is there any way to use those machines
>> made for NT or 95, for Linux machines as well? Or is there any
>> particular box for Linux (though seems like only a script is important
>> I guess).
>>      If there are folks already using UPS, please give me the
>> name, the possible price of the box, and some other info such as how
>> to use it. I really appreciate if anyone of you could give me the
>> info thanks.
>
>I've got you covered.  Get a UPS like a BkPro by APC - make sure you get
>an APC-made one.  There's a package on sunsite called 'apcupsd'.  I've got
>it set up here.  It's neat -- your UPS comes with a special cable which
>hooks up to your server's serial port.  You get it set up and it even puts
>a status file in /etc for you to look at.  When power goes down, it'll
>start a shutdown sequence.  What's even neater is that your OTHER Linux
>machines on your network can talk to the server via tcp/ip, so when the
>power goes down, the server will broadcast to the other machines that the
>power's out, so they can *all* shut down.

    Isn't this wonderful?

>I have it all set up and working - I'll mail you my /etc/apcupsd.conf if
>you need it.  Just go to sunsite, download it (I think it's in system/ups
>or something like that), and install it.  If you have trouble configuring
>it, let me know.

    Right, I go for it. If no luck, I go to you.

>I recommend the APC BkPro or the APC SmartUPS.  The SmartUPS outputs a
>little more detailed info to the server, but I haven't seen them for sale
>in Japan.

  I will try to find them.

>Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com, sstone@example.com>
>               <sstone@example.com>
>Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.
>http://www.pht.com		http://armadillo.pht.co.jp
>http://www.pht.co.jp	        http://www.turbolinux.com

---------------end of your message----------------

With Regards,
Yong-Ming
_/_/_/_/FROM THE OFFICE OF YONG-MING HUA(YMH CAL LABORATORY)_/_/_/_/
_/e-mail: yhua@example.com, yhua@example.com    _/
_/Office Tel:(Jpn)(0)427-39-8132  Fax:(Jpn)(0)427-39-8845         _/
_/A Word from YMH CAL LAB: Help those with Terminal Illness       _/
_/They need you LOVE.    http://www.kelvin.lit.tamagawa.ac.jp     _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/Home Tel & Fax:(Jpn)(0)3-3485-0171 /_/_/_/_/_/_/
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: