Re: tlug: majordomo 'who' command

Hi,
just to confirm things, as far as I know, I've had the list set
so that only subscribed members can use the who command.  Also,
only subscribed members can post to the list.  This has been
set since the beginning of the list.  I've tried to limit
the power to only subscribed users.

Let me know if you want other configurations.  I edit the
configuration files all the time.  This type of thing is
good feedback.

The one thing that I can do, but have not done is to verify
subscribers.  Meaning, that any person can subscribe to the
TLUG list.  What I can do is to force authorization before
anyone can subscribe.

The reason I leave the who command on for subscribed members
is that members can verify the size of the list and get a
feel for membership.  This helps build a sense of community.

I think that the mailing list should be moved to the tlug
server as soon as we confirm the tape backup procedure is
working.  The sooner, the better.  There is a lot more we
can do with the mailing list once it is on its own server.

-- Craig

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Marc E. Christensen wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Ken Harada wrote:
>
> > I am aware of this in regard to the SAPM problems, but I would still
> > like to have the member list available to the members.  May be we
> > compile a separate listing rather than the automated majordomo
> > reply?
>
> I think it is a good idea to have the list avaliable to the members as
> well.  You'll get the addresses when yo ureceive mail anyway. But I _do_
> think it is a good idea to have this only avaliable to members subscribed
> to the list.  This is a flag in the majordomo.cf file.  Easy to do.  I
> feel that members of the list should be trustworthy enough for this.  As
> a precaution, the comfirmation of subscriptions to the list should be
> turned on.  We could even co further by only allowing members of the list
> to post.

---
craig@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: