Re: tlug: compiling

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
[snip]
> > actually placing the drive(s) in another machine and booting just during a
> > compile.  I've seen your computers often enought to know the covers arn't
> > always on... 8^) so this shouldn't be too hard... good luck
>
> I think I've confirmed that it *is* a hw problem - the problem machine and
> my home machine are running exactly the same versions of everything,
> they're even the same CPU (k6-200mmx), and both have 64 meg of RAM with
> the same cache.  It works fine on my home machine.
>
> Unfortunately the problem machine is my main file/network server here in
> our J office.  So, you think it's bad cache ram that causes that?

Yea, sounds like that's the problem.  Since they are the esentialy same
machine, why don't you just bring the ram and CPU from home and swap it
out. This would be simple enough.  You could possibly narrow it down to
either ram and/or cache by swapping each or both.

The only thing that worries me is that shutting down my home machine makes
it get cool - the more it heats up and cools down, the shorter it's
life...on and off, on and off, up and down, up and down... 8^) ...happily
running a system up 24/7/365 with only a few power-downs lasting more that
a few seconds to boot a new kernel 8^).

--
Marc Christensen	       |  Check out the linux-access pages.
SysOp CDSS University of Utah  |  linux-access - Making a difference!

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: