Re: tlug: compiling

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Marc E. Christensen wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Although, my home machine, with the same gcc, libs, kernel works fine...
> > I'm getting cpp sig11 errors from the problem machine.  Maybe it's bad
> > hardware..
>
> I seem to remember hearing that sig11 errors were the result of poor
> hardware...cache or something like that..
>
> You could try NFS-root mounting the drives on another mamahine (X
> terminal) and then compiling again to test it out.  Sort of a lot of work
> to go through if you dont already have a diskless client system working.
> An easier method might be to replace the cach/memory and try again or
> actually placing the drive(s) in another machine and booting just during a
> compile.  I've seen your computers often enought to know the covers arn't
> always on... 8^) so this shouldn't be too hard... good luck

I think I've confirmed that it *is* a hw problem - the problem machine and
my home machine are running exactly the same versions of everything,
they're even the same CPU (k6-200mmx), and both have 64 meg of RAM with
the same cache.  It works fine on my home machine.

Unfortunately the problem machine is my main file/network server here in
our J office.  So, you think it's bad cache ram that causes that?

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: