Re: tlug: compiling

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Marc E. Christensen wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
> [snip]
> > > actually placing the drive(s) in another machine and booting just during a
> > > compile.  I've seen your computers often enought to know the covers arn't
> > > always on... 8^) so this shouldn't be too hard... good luck
> >
> > I think I've confirmed that it *is* a hw problem - the problem machine and
> > my home machine are running exactly the same versions of everything,
> > they're even the same CPU (k6-200mmx), and both have 64 meg of RAM with
> > the same cache.  It works fine on my home machine.
> >
> > Unfortunately the problem machine is my main file/network server here in
> > our J office.  So, you think it's bad cache ram that causes that?
>
> Yea, sounds like that's the problem.  Since they are the esentialy same
> machine, why don't you just bring the ram and CPU from home and swap it
> out. This would be simple enough.  You could possibly narrow it down to
> either ram and/or cache by swapping each or both.

nah, no need.  I want to upgrade the RAM in the server to 10ns SDRAMs
anyway, and after I get my P2-300mhz stuff for my devel machine (which
currently also has a k6-200), I can swap that if needed.  I'm going to try
resetting the cache/memory wait states in the cmos first.

Fortunately, this 'bug' hasn't caused any OTHER problems, just when I
compile stuff, which I suppose I don't need to do on the server anyway.

> The only thing that worries me is that shutting down my home machine makes
> it get cool - the more it heats up and cools down, the shorter it's
> life...on and off, on and off, up and down, up and down... 8^) ...happily
> running a system up 24/7/365 with only a few power-downs lasting more that
> a few seconds to boot a new kernel 8^).
>

> --
> Marc Christensen	       |  Check out the linux-access pages.
> SysOp CDSS University of Utah  |  linux-access - Making a difference!
> http://ssv1.union.utah.edu     |  http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/linux-access/

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.