Re: tlug: Meeting agenda & preparations

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96LJ1.1b7.980208153101.7216B-100000@example.com> you wrote:
> Actually, this sounds good.  Can we get a brief blurb on
> your research into human-computer interfaces?  I'll do the
> advertisements.

The research is about using image processing techniques in human-computer
interfaces. It's divided in two parts. First, the photometric stereo method
(stereo vision with a single camera and multiple light sources) is used to
estimate the orientation of the user's hand in the three-dimensional space.
Combined with other techniques, the processing flow provides a basis for
the implementation of a gestural interface without using gloves.

It will be hard to demonstrate this system, as it requires controlled
illumination. I'll only show a couple of slides and concentrate on the second
half.

The second part is a joint-research with the MPT Communications Research Lab
http://www.crl.go.jp/st/st821/research/sikaku.html (in japanese). It's a
hand shape recognition system for use in a Braille reader, in order to
facilitate the operation of a GUI by a visually impaired person. The system
is currently able to recognize the position of the thumb and the rotation
of the hand, emulating a mouse button and a scroll bar, respectively.

I'll bring the software we developed, a video camera and the Matrox Meteor
video capture board. I think I can also show some applications that are
included in the Linux Meteor driver.

About the Linux Meteor driver, from the README:
Matrox Meteor FrameGrabber Driver v1.4.
=======================================

Copyright (C) 1996  Jim Bray (jb@example.com).

[ comments and bug reports should now be directed to ian@example.com ]

This work was supported by RWI (Real World Interface) Inc., and the AI
Lab at Brown University.

This is a port and partial rewrite of the FreeBSD Matrox Meteor
FrameGrabber Driver, written by Jim Lowe and Mark Tinguely.  Matt
Welsh's bigphysarea mechanism is used to substitute for the BSD
vm_page_alloc_contig().

It requires at least a 1.3-series kernel.  It is known to work with
1.3.72 and later.  It also work with v2.x series kernels.  The
bigphysarea patch is not included in the v2.0 kernel so you still need
to make the patch.  There is a list, meteor-users@example.com, for
discusssion.  It is managed by majordomo; send mail to
majordomo@example.com with no content if you need instructions.  The
command to join would be "subscribe meteor-list" in the message body.
Older and possibly newer versions can be found on ftp.rwii.com in
/pub/linux/system/Meteor, which is the driver's home site.

	[...]

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.