Re: tlug: inittab question + Caldera

Hi all,

Well, I drank those beers, so...

On 13-Jan-98 Rob Bickel wrote:
>> and yep, it boots right to an X login. Funny thing is,
>though, it doesn't read ~USER/.xinitrc anymore.
>
>That's right.  It now uses a file called .xsession.  There is a
>default .xsession somewhere on your system that is being used.
>What you can do is copy your .xinitrc to .xsession and logout
>and log back in.

.xsession now rules the login - with a couple of caveats. I
still have to call vfwm2rc95 with the full
/usr/local/bin/fvwm95-2 in .xsessions (I suppose a simple ln -s
to /usr/X11R6/bin/ would solve that)- more on this in a second,
and I'm still getting a console xterm (I guess started with
xterm -c somewhere) which was never part of my plan.

Steve Turnbull wrote:
> BACK UP THE CURRENT STATE OF THE FILES FIRST and make sure you
> know how to boot to normal mode or single-user mode in case
> you hose Xdm completely :-)

VERY sage advice. Without calling the full path to my w-manager
the login sequence entered a permanent loop. It couldn't find
the manager so it went back to the login. Try to reboot and
you're back to the login - shutdown and you're back to the same
login which you can't get out of. (My secret weapon is a 200 MB
IDE HDD with a bootable floppy that completely ignores my usual
configuration on /dev/sda1 - just reboot with the floppy in
place, mount sda1 and repair whatever damage I did;-)

Well, I guess the .xsession WAS the ticket after all. Thanks
Rob. Now, if I could just figure out where that console xterm is
coming from:-)

Regards,

Jim S.

----------------------------------
Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
One learns to itch where one can scratch.
                -- Ernest Bramah
http://www1.harenet.or.jp/~schweiz/
Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: