RE: tlug: inittab question + Caldera

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> I was just playing around with my Slackware box (am I the _only_
> TLUGer using Slackware anymore?), messing with this and that,
> and I decided to try booting directly to X.

  Afraid I can't help with your very interesting question, but NO,
you are definitely not the only Slackware aficionado.  I've never
used anything else myself (though the Debian philosophy is appealing).

  I just tried out your /etc/inittab modification on my experimental
system (a mirror of my production system that sits over on the scsi disk).
Interesting.  It does come up in X, but without paying any attention to
one's .xinitrc or w-manager preferences.  On my system I get the plain
vanilla version of that horrible hack that makes fvwm look like the
toy OS we all love to hate.

  Keep us posted on your progress with this.  I for one wouldn't mind
being able to use this boot-to-X on the multiuser installation I
administer.

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Jim Schweizer further wrote:

> >I haven't been able to find where fvwm is coming from.
>
> Okay, I found it - /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

  Actually, editing that file does nothing to change things.  The key files
are these:

/var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc
/var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc.backup
/var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc.fvwm
/var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc.fvwm95-2
/var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc.twm

  Copying any one of the xinitrc.* to xinitrc will bring up the corresponding
w-manager, but I don't see how we get the personal ~/.xinitrc files read.
Any further ideas?

  Long live diversity.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: