tlug: various stuff

Hi,
I've been battling with dselect of debian for a day and I've
upgraded to hamm in order to get glibc6 support.  I wanted to
upgrade X11R6 to the glibc6 support so that I could get
Linux jdk1.1.5 (not the one by Randy Chapman, that was 1.1.3) to
work.  With the beta release of JDK1.2 for Windows/Solaris,
I thought that the Linux version was getting close and wanted to
practice with the Java Foundation Classes, especially the
SwingSet GUI stuff.

Well, as the story goes, I now have non-functional JDK1.1.3
and JDK1.1.5 versions.  Both don't work now.  :-(

Should I move to RedHat 5.0?  Many people are using RedHat now
and I was thinking that it might be time to give it a try again.
My Debian system is split over three physical disks and about
9 partitions.  Might be time for a clean sweep.  I need a
tape backup system.   If I fiddle around enough with Debian,
I can probably get most of the things I want to work, but
I'm not sure when hamm is going into stable release and how
much fiddling is involved before the release.  If Red Hat 5.0
is stable with the glibc6, it might be worth it to backup
my main data directories and go for the big reformat and clean
install....   <rush of blood through the veins>

  ---------

TLUG Admin related stuff

Nomikai on Wednesday...

Anyone want to volunteer to to be the organizer?  All you have to
do is make the reservations at Tengu, get the bill at the end,
divide it by the number of people using a calculator, and collect
the money from each person.  Other optional duties might be
to make some announcements to attempt to get more people to come.
We can probably enlist the help of veteran Tengu goers to
order the food.

Linux Journal
I was looking at the Red Hat site for the RH5.0 stuff and noticed
a link to an LJ article on a Linux rendering farm of 200 DEC Alphas
at Digital Domain which was used to make some scenes for the
Titanic movie.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/current/2494.html

I checked the February issue contents
http://www.linuxjournal.com/current

and there is listed an article about TLUG.   There is a
questionaire at the site, so after you read the article on
TLUG, put good things on the questionaire.  Maybe we can
get more corporate donations with the extra publicity.
The text of the article is not online, so we have to wait
until they ship us the magazines to Tokyo.

other non-Linux bits of info.

I installed PocketC on my Pilot.  It is a C compiler.  Quite
entertaining.  I can now write C programs on the train, compile
and execute them from the comfort of my Palm.  I spent a few
days playing the pen input game, so I can now input all the
C marks like {} [] " ;  pretty easily.  The Pilot library
for their GUI stuff is pretty straightforward.
I also installed an
MD5 one time password generator so that I can generate
one-time passwords on the fly.  Very cool.   I've found
that Java MakeDoc does not process Japanese documents.  I
was going to rewrite it, but it seems a bit involved..
I've found a Java serial class and a Java pilot-bean from
IBM that I hope to play with more to get Linux and Pilot
talking with greater congeniality.  That is if I ever get
JDK working on my Linux box again.  :-(

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: